Introducing The Driving Route Design Tool
What could be more awesome for a sports car club than a point and click mapping program to draw, save and share fun driving routes?
Using our new website app to create s curvy back roads route to enjoy in your Miata is much easier and less frustrating than attempting to modify routes suggested by Google Maps. Once you’re done you can share it with other club members.
AND it can be downloaded to be used in a GPS or with a smart phone!
You create your driving route by clicking points on the map. Each route can have a detailed route description along with images of the route.
When the “Draw the route” button above the map is clicked it is possible to add routes to the map. When creating driving routes the application selects secondary roads but it is possible to alter the route to include a highway(s) by adding waypoints. The program has two types of route markers and you can use both in the same map.
- Location Markers – Points of interest with information.
- Route Waypoints – Steps that should be covered, in order, during the route.
Steps To Create A Driving Route
- Select your “My Routes” menu item.
- Click on the “Add or Manage Routes” button.
- Click on the “Add Route” button ( or you can choose to edit an existing route you previously created).
The draw routes window opens:
- Enter the route name.
- Add a description of the route.
- Select Status ( Draft= Only visible to you, Published=All logged in members)
- Add category ( If you are created multiple route segments give them all the same category ex: “My New Route”)
- Add pictures from the route (optional).
- You can choose to import the route from your GPS ( optional ).
- Start to draw a route.
TIP: Click the “Instructions” button above the map to open a video presentation on creating a trail map (also applies to our driving maps).
To start drawing your map click the “Draw the route” button at the top of the map.
Start clicking on the map to add waypoints.
Waypoints appear as open circles. You can add waypoints sequentially. To change the location of a waypoint right click and hold it, then move it to the new location and release.
In addition you can add waypoints to a route mid route. Move the cursor over the route until the hand appears. Then click the route. A waypoint should appear which can be moved as needed. Remove waypoints by left-clicking on the waypoint dot marker.
To add a locations click on “Add marker” button on the top of the map
Location Markers are points of interest you can add to your route. Click on any point on the map to add a location. A list of the locations is displayed below the map. Each location marker has a series of fields for entering information. Markers appear as a label on the route and each can have it’s own icon, description, images, and a name.
Location Markers can be moved by dragging and dropping the location icon on the map or by changing the location’s coordinates in the text input field. Remove locations using the “Remove” button on the locations’ list.
From your “My Routes” page you can also edit or delete a map that you created.
Import and Export Routes
There are 3 download icons at the top left of the map:
- Show directions steps: ( export by selecting all , copy and paste ).
- Export to KLM
- Export to GPX
KML, and GPX are the file formats used by GPS and map programs. There are many cell phone apps that can use a KML/GPX file to display a route and help you navigate with it. To use your route with your GPS consult your manual for file import / export instructions.
There are two ways to export your routes as KML or GPX files.
- View Route Screen Method: Use the download icons at the top left of the map. If the route has been imported from a KML/GPX file then the original file will be served. Otherwise, Route Manager will generate a new KML/GPX file to download.
- Shortcut Option on the Routes Screen Method: Within the Routes screen hover over your chosen route’s row to reveal the hidden options. Select “Export as GPX” or “Export as KML”. Upon clicking on either of these the file will download immediately. Note: In the case of routes that were created by uploading a KML or GPX file the option to ” Download original file” will show in the options too. Selecting this will download the file that was uploaded.